This trial shows that BPC157 accelerates muscle healing and to restore full muscle function!
Gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 as an effective therapy for muscle crush injury in the rat
Stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 accelerates the healing of a transected Achilles tendon and a transected quadriceps muscle. It may also be of clinical relevance as a systemic and local peptide treatment for crush injury of a major muscle, such as gastrocnemius muscle complex. BPC 157 is effective without a carrier, and it is presently undergoing trials for inflammatory bowel disease, and no toxicity has so far been reported.
In crushed rats (force delivered 0.727 Ns/cm2), BPC 157 was applied either intraperitoneally or locally, as a thin cream layer, immediately after injury (sacrifice at 2 h), and once a day for 14 days.
BPC 157 improved muscle healing, macroscopically (less hematoma and edema, no post-injury leg contracture), microscopically, functionally, and also based on enzyme activity (creatine kinase, lactate dehydrogenase, aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase).
BPC 157, at all investigated intervals, given locally or intraperitoneally, accelerated post-injury muscle healing and also helped to restore the full function.
BPC 157 Crush injury Peptide therapy Muscle regeneration Rat
- 1. Sikiric P, Petek M, Rucman R, Seiwerth S, Grabarevic Z, Rotkvic I, et al. A new gastric peptide BPC. An overview of stomach — organoprotection hypothesis and beneficial effect of BPC. J Physiol (Paris) 1993;87:313–327.
- 2. Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Brcic L, Blagaic AB, Zoricic I, Sever M, et al. Stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 in trials for inflammatory bowel disease (PL-10, PLD-116, PL 14736, Pliva, Croatia). Full and distended stomach, and vascular response. Inflammopharmacology 2006;14:214–221.
- 4. Jelovac N, Sikiric P, Rucman R, Petek M, Marovic A, Perovic D, et al. Pentadecapeptide BPC 157 attenuates disturbances induced by neuroleptics: the effect on catalepsy and gastric ulcers in mice and rats. Eur J Pharmacol 1999;379:19–31.
- 5. Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Grabarevic Z, Rucman R, Petek M, Jagic V, et al. Beneficial effect of a novel pentadecapeptide BPC 157 on gastric lesions induced by restraint stress, ethanol, indomethacin, and capsaicin neurotoxicity. Dig Dis Sci 1996;41:1604–1614.
- 6. Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Grabarevic Z, Rucman R, Petek M, Jagic V, et al. The influence of a novel pentadecapeptide, BPC 157, on N(G)-nitro-L-arginine methylester and L-arginine effects on stomach mucosa integrity and blood pressure. Eur J Pharmacol 1997;332:23–33.
- 7. Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Mise S, Staresinic M, Bedekovic V, Zarkovic N, et al. Corticosteroid-impairment of healing and gastric pentadecapeptide BPC-157 creams in burned mice. Burns 2003;29:323–334.
- 8. Veljaca M, Chan K, Guglietta A. Digestion of h-EGF, h-TGF alpha, and BPC-15 in human gastric juice. Gastroenterology 1995;108:761.
- 12. Staresinic M, Petrovic I, Novinscak T, Jukic I, Pevec D, Suknaic S, et al. Effective therapy of transected quadriceps muscle in rat: Gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157. J Orthop Res 2006;24:1109–1117.
- 14. Krivic A, Anic T, Seiwerth S, Huljev D, Sikiric P. Achilles detachment in rat and stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157: promoted tendon-to-bone healing and opposed corticosteroid aggravation. J Orthop Res 2006;24:982–989.
- 15. Staresinic M, Sebecic B, Patrlj L, Jadrijevic S, Suknaic S, Perovic D, et al. Gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 accelerates healing of transected rat Achilles tendon and in vitro stimulates tendocytes growth. J Orthop Res 2003;21:976–983.
- 16. Sebecic B, Nikolic V, Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Sosa T, Patrlj L, et al. Osteogenic effect of a gastric pentadecapeptide, BPC-157, on the healing of segmental bone defect in rabbits: a comparison with bone marrow and autologous cortical bone implantation. Bone 1999;24:195–202.
- 17. Bilic M, Bumber Z, Blagaic AB, Batelja L, Seiwerth S, Sikiric P. The stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157, given locally, improves CO2 laser healing in mice. Burns 2005;31:310–315.
- 18. ikus D, Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Petricevic A, Aralica G, Druzijanic N, et al. Pentadecapeptide BPC 157 cream improves burn-wound healing and attenuates burn-gastric lesions in mice. Burns 2001;127:817–827
- 19. Seiwerth S, Sikiric P, Grabarevic Z, Zoricic I, Hanzevacki M, Ljubanovic D, et al. BPC 157’s effect on healing. J Physiol (Paris) 1997;91:173–178.
- 21. Xue XC, Wu YJ, Gao MT. Study of the protective effects of pentadecapeptide BPC 157 on wounds in small type pigs. Chin New Drugs J 2004;12:602–604.
- 23. Gjurasin M, Miklic P, Buljat G, Perovic D, Jukic I, Sikiric P, et al. Selective healing effect of the gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 on injured part of the nerve in subtotal sciatic nerve transection. Dig Dis Sci 2003;48:1878.
- 24. Vuksic T, Zoricic I, Brcic L, Sever M, Klicek R, Radic B, et al. Stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 in trials for inflammatory bowel disease (PL-10, PLD-116, Pliva, Croatia) heals ileoileal-anastomosis in rat. Surg Today 2007;37:768–777.
- 34. Lovric-Bencic M, Sikiric P, Hanzevacki JS, Seiwerth S, Rogic D, Kusec V, et al. Doxorubicine-congestive heart failure-increased big endothelin-1 plasma concentration: reversal by amlodipine, losartan, and gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 in rat and mouse. J Pharmacol Sci 2004;95:19–26.
- 35. Prkacin I, Separovic J, Aralica G, Perovic D, Gjurasin M, Lovric-Bencic M, et al. Portal hypertension and liver lesions in chronically alcohol drinking rats prevented and reversed by stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 (PL-10, PLD-116), and propranolol, but not ranitidine. J Physiol (Paris) 2001;95:315–324.
- 37. Sikiric P, Separovic J, Anic T, Buljat G, Mikus D, Seiwerth S, et al. The effect of pentadecapeptide BPC 157, H2 blockers and sucralfate on new vessels and new granulation tissue formation. J Physiol (Paris) 1999;93:479–485.
- 38. Veljaca M, Lesch CA, Sanchez B, Low J, Guglietta A. Protection of BPC-15 on TNBS-induced colitis in rats: possible mechanisms of action. Gastroenterology 1995;108:936.
- 39. Veljaca M, Lesch CA, Pllana R, Sanchez B, Chan K, Guglietta A. BPC-15 reduces trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid-induced colonic damage in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1994;272:417–422.